Thursday, December 18, 2008

Food he CAN eat

So we have seen what he can't eat, and that list is long, but what CAN he eat you wonder? Interestingly, the foods he can eat are very high in vitamins, minerals and proteins. I do, however, understand why the average baked goods are NOT made with the flours he can have in place of wheat, rice, potato and gluten. They are strange, gummy, smelly and if I thought I wasn't a baker before this diet, woah, this has been the true test of all baking tests!! I am impressed with the outcome of many of the cookies we have tried, but breads, I have completely given up. So if anyone reading this post, by chance, has a bread recipe that will work for my free-of-everything kid, PLEASE let me know!! Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a thing of the past. I did try making him one on some great thick buckwheat pancakes, but now he is telling me he doesn't like the natural peanut butter anymore, nor the almond or cashew butters I bought for him. Waste??? You think your child wastes food??? Try baking these odd breads, cakes and cookies and THEN you will see what waste is, ha ha ha. Ok, so back to the topic at hand, what he can eat. He can eat any fresh veggies and meats (some may require the accomaniment of a No Phenol enzyme), he can have quinoa, amaranth, millet, barley (although I limit it due to the gluten), buckwheat (a favorite of ours for pancakes and cookies), corn, oat, soy (we limit this one also, since the proteins are very similar to casein and gluten) and all seafood, which luckily, he likes so far! Now if we could just afford to live on lobster and king crab, we would be one happy family!!!

Funny thing, my mother-in-law just called to discuss baking cookies and using flour replacements, ha ha ha. She is experiencing my world! She tried a recipe for gingerbread man cookies and thought they had an "off" taste. YUP Just about everything with these new flours does. It takes some getting used to, but one thing I've learned is that a kid is happy with anything sweet. She is on to recipe number two, attempting to replace flour, sugar and eggs, good luck mom!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog on the SID-DSI Yahoo group. I have a 3 year old daughter with SPD. I have not had her tested for allergies yet, but I know she is sensitive to dairy and wheat. She does fine with wild yeast sourdough bread. I think it is because the fermentation process that the grains go through during the process of making the bread pre-digests it enough to make it easy for her system to break down.

Thanks for all the great info on your blog.