"Wheatgrass is literally condensed sunlight energy. It is one of the most potent healing agents on the planet." -Steve Meyerowitz, Wheatgrass Nature's Finest Medicine
What about growing your own? Well, if you don't want to ingest molds, I recommend buying yours flash frozen from a reputable source who grows their wheatgrass outside. Molds release mycotoxins which have a terrible taste and cause side effects such as dizziness, nausea, headaches and vomiting.
In addition to clearing up allergies, reducing colds, clearing skin and even reversing graying (yes, this is true!), here are a few more little known facts about wheatgrass (courtesy of Energise for Life, an alkaline diet resource), oh right, it also alkalizes the blood:
- Wheatgrass contains over 90 minerals, including high concentrations of the most alkaline minerals: potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium
- It contains the essential enzymes: Protease (assists in protein digestion), Cytochrome Oxidase (a powerful anti oxidant), Amylase (facilitates digestion), Lipase (a fat splitting enzyme), Transhydrogenase (strengthens the heart muscle) & Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) (found in all body cells and is known for its ability to lessen the effect of radiation and slow cellular aging)
- Just one teaspoon of Wheat Grass powder, weighing a mere 3.5 grams, is nutritionally equal to an entire spinach salad weighing a full 50 grams – it packs a punch!
- Wheatgrass has more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots!
- Wheat grass juice helps your body to build red blood cells which carry oxygen to every cell. By increasing the oxygenation the body you can help offset smog and carbon monoxide and increase your endurance during physical exercise
- It also contains 19 amino acids, the building blocks of protein
What ever it does to the blood (it's been studied and said that the chlorophyll molecule in wheatgrass is almost identical to the hemoglobin molecule in human blood) has been proven with testing in Grayson. We had two different CBC panels, months apart, that showed VERY elevated platelet (also known as sticky blood) counts. We started giving him wheatgrass daily shortly after that last CBC and have been giving it for a few months. He had another follow-up CBC and his platelets are completely normal!! I was told by Dr. Woeller that elevated platelets are very common in kids with chronic intestinal infections which Grayson struggles with, so we weren't surprised. We were more surprised when they came down to the normal range even though we are still battling the intestinal infections!
I have read various information from doctors saying that wheat grass is extremely healing even topically, so imagine what it does to the intestinal lining when ingested on an empty stomach and allowed to coat the intestines! It is known to heal colitis and Chrone's disease. We have also tested these topical capabilities of wheatgrass. I had broken out in an awful cold sore that grew fast and furious, I didn't think of using the wheatgrass topically until it had already grown out of control, so I had this sucker for a good week, BUT, as soon as I started using the wheatgrass topically, it dried it up right away! So when Grayson caught whatever it was that caused this cold sore, and he got one covering his jaw and lower cheek area (yes, HUGE!) I immediately went to the freezer and softened up some chunks of the wheatgrass between two fingers. We turned his cheek into the green monster, lol. It took ONE morning of letting the juice dry on his cold sore and it was completely eradicated!! GONE! Nothing has ever worked that fast on a cold sore, that I know of anyway! And his didn't scab, we caught it early enough to reverse it quickly.
I am now currently in the process of doing my own little test with on effects of wheatgrass on PH. I have chronic low PH around 5 so I am going to increase my wheatgrass intake until I see changes in my PH, without changing anything else I am doing. So stay tuned!! In the meantime, this wheatgrass farmer is the only one I recommend for a quality flash frozen product delivered right to your door! Yes, it appears pricy, but when you think about how much you are getting, it will last a LONG time and isn't it worth your health? If you order the smallest box, you are paying only $1.60 per ounce (juice bars charge well over $3 for a 1/2 ounce shot of wheat grass in a smoothie!), if you buy the next size up, it's $1.45 an ounce, and the next $1.40 and so on....I would even recommend going in together with a friend or two and ordering one of the larger boxes, then splitting it, for the cost savings. I like to be greedy and buy our family one of the 25 pound boxes and drink as much as we need since it's a healthy raw, living food that ensures my kids are getting enough greens in their day. It's the sneaky, easy way to get your toddlers drinking greens, he he he!!