Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recipe - low oxalate pumpkin blueberry muffins

I have been experimenting with flour mixes to make a tasty blend that works for muffins, since this is always something I can sneak veggie puree into!  Going low oxalate turned my world upside down and took my kitchen by storm, literally!!  I am in experiment mode which is always messy, my poor husband!

So I took a bunch of different recipe ideas and created this one tasty muffin with my own flour mix...I'm sure it's not the first time this mix has been formulated, so when I say that I created it, I mean that I am just using our needs to tailor the flour mix so that it works for us.  I am not a fan of using too much white rice so this flour mix was created with that in mind, although no low oxalate, GFCF flour mix is complete without some rice flour, lol.  I also think that garbanzo bean flour (moderate oxalate) is a bit strong.  So I blended it's competitor, the lower oxalate black eyed pea, into a flour using my baby, uh, I mean...my blendtec!  Talk about an appliance that does it all!

Ok, back to the muffins, here is a picture and you will find the recipe below it.  It is light and fluffy and doesn't have that I'm-not-made-with-wheat taste! 


In a large bowl, whisk together:

1 cup eyed pea flour (I used my blendtec to make this flour from dried beans)
1 cup tapioca starch
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup white rice flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon guar gum
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Put the following into a blender and whip for a few seconds until nice and fluffy:

1 cup sweetener of choice (I chose 1/2 cup coconut nectar and 1/2 xylitol)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
2 eggs 
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
 
Mix the ingredients together and if it requires more liquid, add up to 1/2 cup of coconut milk.
 
Fold in 1/2 cup of your choice of blueberries, banana chunks, apple chunks or dried cherries.
 
Fill 12 lined cupcake tins almost full and bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown or until a toothpick comes out of the center of the muffin clean. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look fabulous! I can't wait to try them with my boys. Thanks!

kdneys said...

Hi. I think xylitol is nor low in oxalate. also, most beans do not have low oxalate.

Jessica said...

Xylitol has tested low at 3.2-3.5mg per tsp. Perhaps you are thinking of stevia? Stevia is high at 1.22mg per tsp. Black eyed peas are also low at just 3mg per half a cup serving.

There is a lot of conflicting information about oxalate levels out there. My only source is the Trying Low Oxalates group, because they are actively testing new foods regularly and their data is the most current.

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks great. Can you please specify how you make the black eyed pea flour? Do you just grind up a bag of dried black eyed peas?

Also, our son is getting stevia in his Flagyl and Diflucan. Is this a problem? I know he's not consuming a full teaspoon, but probably several drops per day. Thanks!

Jessica said...

Yes, I grind the dried black eyed peas or what I have been doing more recently is soaking them overnight and then blending them in my Blendtec with the liquid ingredients. Soaking them reduces phytic acid and enhances the nutritional benefits. When I made my pancake recipe this morning, I soaked both the blacked eyed peas and the pumpkin seeds overnight with a little water kefir.

Stevia is a natural sweetener that is tolerated by many, but if you need to be on a low oxalate diet, it will contribute to oxalate issues, as it is a high oxalate product.

Unknown said...

I'm a bit surprised to see that there were pumpkins and blueberries in the recipe, since I thought both of these things were on the "no-no" list.

Jessica said...

Krystal,
Unfortunately, it can really depend on the list you are using. There are many outdated, inaccurate lists out there. Do you belong to the Trying Low Oxalates Yahoo group? They have THE most up to date information and continue testing regularly.

Jessica