Tuesday, November 24, 2009


This is probably a new term for you so I will edu-ma-cate you first. Biofilm is a polyssacharide matrix that microbes develop to protect themselves. It allows them to survive in a less than optimal environment, AKA - a healthy body? These pests are smarter than us and always will be as long as we continue to use medical prescriptions to fight them. Biofilm is a sticky film that allows them to remain undetected by the body. So while we are doing all of our treatments trying to kill these little suckers, we see some progress, but then stopping the treatments proves to only result in yet another build up of the symptoms yet again.  So we know we probably have a biofilm issue at hand. Since the Flagyl antibiotics only addressed our bacteria issues for about two months, if even, both times we used it, we knew we had something more deep seated to deal with. This stuff has probably been setting up residency for a few years! We knew it was time for the BIG GUNS!! Hence, the biofilm protocol!

 The first step of this process is a few specific enzymes that poke holes in the biofilm by breaking down their cell walls which then allows the following treatments (natural antimicrobials/antivirals) to get in there and kill them while they think they are hiding. It's a process that takes time (months), but usually results in great long-lasting benefits....providing we are also removing the metals at play too! These things go hand in hand, microbes and metals protect and benefit each other.

Once we open the biofilm, we are essentially reactivating the body, because previous to this step, it was actually unaware of it's very well hidden intruders. This can result in a plethora of symptoms that can range from flu-like to stimmy and irritated. It's basically BIG die-off and the process requires a good mop-up step to usher out the toxins (like having a dead creature in your basement, eeeew, get it out, right? It's toxic), otherwise they will overwhelm the body (and the liver) and become neurotoxic in the process. So here is our daily routine now:

I am only doing the biofilm protocol once a day right now, but after 3-6 weeks, we will consider a second dosing schedule in the day. So essentially what I am doing is using the biofilm in the morning hours (getting the empty stomach is easier then) and then I continue with the dosing schedule we were using pre-biofilm in the later parts of the day, because, if we go more than 3 hours without dosing something, the yeast and bacteria start right back up. Then at bedtime we give hefty doses of probiotics to rebuild the good flora. More good crowds out the bad!

The "killers" as I like to call them (antimicrobials/antivirals) may be more than some kids can handle, but as I mentioned before, we get severe overgrowth pretty fast, otherwise. So while the biofilm is in place, I am hitting this stuff pretty hard and seeing results! Previously, if we went more than 6 weeks without Flagyl, we saw MAJOR bacterial symptoms (aggression, hitting, throwing, defiance, spacey interchanged with hyper, negative attitude all day, and a lot of emotions and crying).

We do a bit of rotation, because of leaky gut, so the food supplements along with anything that contains coconut (a #1 on his IgG panel) is rotated on a four day rotation.

1 - I keep the bottles of Klaire Labs Interfase (Important, NOT Interfase Plus, it has EDTA in it which is unsafe for mercury toxic people) and ViraStop (you could also use Lumbrokinase here which is GREAT for Lyme) with a cup of water on my nightstand since he comes to my room first thing when he wakes. This allows me to start the pre-food dosing asap. I give him 1 ViraStop and 2 Interfase caps on an empty stomach.

2 - When we get downstairs, I give him either his home made electrolyte solution or an apple cider vinegar drink made with warm water, baking soda and honey (depending on our rotation day). He drinks these right down on an empty stomach and looks forward to both of them!

3 - 30-45 min (I use the stove timer, lol) after the Interfase and ViraStop, I dose our "killers" (4-5 drops Bio-Alternatives OoO, 3 droppers full of NOW Foods OLE which is 300mg, 15-20mg Biotin, 3-4 drops GSE and/or Nystatin depending on yeast symptoms, and then we rotate either a full cap of Pharmax Caprylic Acid or a 1/3 of a cap of Natures Way Uva Ursi - this is a new add in for us so we are starting slow). We LOVE the Caprylic Acid and see a difference in him when using that on his rotation days.  A quick note about GSE here - In the two years since I've written this blog, we have learned that a few drops of GSE wasn't our ideal dose.  He is now on two Nutribiotic tablets (125mg each) PLUS 10 more drops.  I wish I tried this sooner, but working up slowly is also important for the sake of severe die off and liver tolerance.

4 - He takes digestion enzymes and two HCI (hydrochloric acid capsules), eats and has his supplements then I set the timer to an hour but anywhere between 1-2 hours is good.

5 - 1-2 hours after supplements and "killers", I give two PectaSol C by EcoNugenics to mop up. This is proven to also move metals. It's a Modified Citrus Pectin which interestingly our son does fine with considering all citrus was elevated on his IgG. You need a dr to order, but all I did was call and tell them that Dr. Woeller of AutismActionPlan.org (I am a member) suggested them and they let me order. It's expensive, $69 a bottle, but there are 270 capsules in a bottle. Everything we give seems to be expensive, ugh! I could be driving a brand new Mercedes, I tell ya!! Not even kidding...You can also use good old activated charcoal here though.

6 - I wait another 1-2 hours to start dosing our "killers" again and then we do that at 3 hour intervals so usually that works out to around noon or 1pm and again at 3-4pm. This is perfect for his school schedule this year, but I am seriously fretting about him in all day kindergarten next year.

7 - At dinner he has 4-6 ounces of kombucha (a fermented iced tea drink with enzymes, probiotics and B vitamins, it's the only way he tolerates the B vitamins!) and at bedtime, 3 Culturelle and 3 New Beginnings Probiotic Support which contains a good amount of Sacc B in addition to a broad spectrum (no-strep strain) dairy-free probiotic. We are doing well with these lately, I can tell by the way he wakes up the next morning. He is calm, happy and compliant.

So that is it, our routine, which now seems to be working pretty well. Sometimes we need to up our yeast protocol, especially when we are on a chelation round, but he responds well and quickly. We also do the epsom salt baths a few times a week, and I have recently added in a bentonite clay bath here and there to assist with the toxin die off. He gets various supplements three times a day as part of all of this, as well.

We had massive die off initially, probably for the first 5-7 days, but that seems to have leveled out, thankfully. I thought I would really lose it, but I stuck with the protocol, increased the PectaSol mop up a bit occasionally and sure enough, he has leveled out nicely, phew!! It's been a while since we have had a good constant without Flagyl. We still see some yeasty signs, as I mentioned, so we are working that out too. He's getting "bored" with school and I don't know, if that is related, but the teacher has been made aware so after the Holiday break, I hope he gets back into the swing of things. I have to say that this is the longest we have gone (8 full weeks) after ending the Flagyl, without major bacterial signs building back up!

I might also add that when I started this protocol with our 17 month old (who also shows signs of yeast and bacterial infections) we had the oddest BM and since he is still in diapers, I got a nice eyeful of a small compact ball of mucus and sticky green something-or-other, eeew! I have read that the biofilm is clear so I am not sure what the compact green stuff was, but it was all intertwined and weird, to say the least. Dr. Woeller suggested that it could just be a plug that was moved out by the protocol. It didn't even connect when I was changing the diaper, instead, at 5am the next morning my eyes popped open and I thought, "I KNOW WHAT THAT WAS..." AKA - biofilm response! Onward...


Ang said...

We love biofilm protocall
working wonders for Olivia.

Anonymous said...

My sons struggled with this 20 years ago.One thing we've found which accelerates the process with less die-off is the clay/psyllium husk (don't overdo the clay) protocol in Sherry Roger's book. We only used Uva ursi.

Julian said...

Hi Jessica, I heard Interfase Plus can treat UTI, so I bought it and let my son try. He is wheelchair-bound and has been getting UTI consistently for the past year. But what I noticed is after several days of using it, his pee actually gets worse, cloudy and stinky. I read your article and understand you're very experienced with using this enzyme, would you help me shed some light into what's going on? Any help will be appreciated!

Julian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

Hi Julian,
I am no doctor, so please understand that what I am sharing is only my own experience with Interfase Plus. So I would preface this with advice to also speak to your doctor about your experiences with it. My experience has suggested that when it breaks up biofilm, it is releasing the stored pathogen into the system, which then needs to be processed by the body. A UTI is a bacterial infection and repeated infections suggest that there may be biofilm protecting this bacteria, so you appear to be on the right track. Have you ever tried sugar free cranberry juice for your son? Using cranberry daily has been helpful for those who have a history of UTIs. Perhaps the combination would be even more powerful.

Julian said...

Jessica, thank you for responding so quickly. I appreciate your feedback, anything will help because so far the only thing I have got from my doctor is to just give him antibiotics for life. I guess his pee is showing the bacteria has been broken loose from their protective biofilm and my next step is, as you said, to get the”killers” in to do the job. I think I will try lauricidin which is used to kill pathogenic bacteria in the body. I have been giving him D-Mannose which is not responding right now.

Jessica said...

Be sure to replenish the good bacteria post-treatment. We use soil based organisms with great results. You can find more about them by searching in the field above the blog. Killing the bacteria is only successful, if you replenish the body with beneficial bacteria. Also don't spend too much time killing off, or there may be permanent repercussions to his beneficial flora. Good luck.